Saturday, February 4, 2012

Better Frame than window? Yes!

Hello DIYers. I know I have been MIA for awhile, but the Holidays and start of a New Year was a little time consuming. I was doing projects though so for the next few weeks I will be posting about the projects I did over the last couple of months. The first one I want to show you we actually gave to Shawn's mom for Christmas.




Lets first talk supplies:

1. Window Frame: We found ours at an Estate sale for $2.00!

2. Pictures for each window panel. You will need to measure the panel to see what size picture to order. We used 8 8x10 pictures. This was the expensive part because the pictures cost almost $30.00

3. Tape-We just used regular scotch tape and you can't even see it. Cost: $1.00

4. White paint. Just used regular white paint from Michael's. Cost: approximately $2.00/bottle

5. Crackle Effect Paint. Used to make it have that antique look. Cost: approximately $5.00/bottle


6. Paint Brush. Cost: $1 at the Dollar Store.


**REMEMBER: To watch the craft store sales and also to print off the coupon they have for 40-50% off one regular priced item!


Let's get started! Now the original color of my window was already an off-white color, so I did not need to put on a base coat. You may need to put one on for the crackle effect to work. If you do decide to put on a base coat then it needs to be a different color from the top coat for the antique look of the crackle paint to work. Since I didn't need a base coat I just put a layer of the crackle paint on first. NOTE: Before I began painting I had to deep clean this thing because it had clearly been hanging out in someone's garage for a few years. Make sure your frame is clean before you start painting anything!


You can make this as thick of a coat as you want. The thicker the coat the more crackle you will get. I did a medium thickness layer, so that you could clearly see that it was on there, but it was clumpy. Wait for this to dry before you put on the top coat of paint!

After the crackle paint has dried, I then painted the frame white. Again, depending on your preference and how you want it to look, you can do multiple coats or just keep it at one. I just kept it at one count because I thought it made it look older.


When it dries it will look like this:


After your frame is dry then you simply tape the pictures on the back and hang the frame wherever you wish!

NOTE: The finished picture is clearly not the white antique looking one that I have been showing you. Actually, the other side of this frame is the side that is painting white, but when we got it to her house we realized this color actually went better with her decorations than white. So you may not even need the crackle paint or any paint at all. This way though, she can always turn it over and have a white one if she ever redecorates!

My final thoughts: I LOVED this project and it was SUPER easy. Anyone can do this project. It turned out so cool. The only downside is that it is not always so easy to find a window to do this project. Believe me, there were quite a few other people on my Christmas list that I think would have loved this too, but I simply didn't have any more windows. The pictures were also expensive, but I think if I wouldn't have waited so close to Christmas I could have gotten better deals.

Overall DIY Grade: A- (the - is only because of the difficulty finding a window and the cost of the pictures)

Good luck and please feel free to post your finished project and ask any questions or comments! Happy Do It Yourselfing

No comments:

Post a Comment