Wednesday, October 19, 2011

EaSy DIY Modern Art



Welcome back DIYers! So this week's project is the easiest DIY project I think I have ever done. It didn't turn out perfectly, but again I think the next time I try it, it will get better. Ok here are the materials you will need:

1. Canvas (any size you want, I used a smaller one for my first one since they are cheaper and I wasn't sure how this would turn out). Cost: $3.99-$25 (depending on size) Remember: Always look for sales, coupons, and bonus 2 for ones!

2. Paint: Whatever color you want. I went with Acrylic paint and it worked just fine. Cost: .59-$2.99.

3. Paint Brush: Whatever kind you prefer to work with. I just grabbed a package of 3 at the dollar store. Cost: $1-$10

4. Masking tape: Cost $1-$3. I got mine at the dollar store.




Now that you have your materials, you're ready to go! The first thing you need to do is take your canvas and place lines of tape on it in whatever design you prefer.



Make sure that the tape is stuck on very well and that the sides are not bubbling up or anything. HINT: When picking out tape to use, make sure you get something that is definitely sticky enough not to let the paint through, but not so sticky that it is going to mess up the canvas when you remove it. If you can't find masking tape, consider using painting tape (or whatever you call it when you line the baseboards and windows when you're painting walls). Also, make sure you get the tape on the sides of the canvas too, so the design is followed all the way through!



Now that you have your tape securely on, START PAINTING!!


HINT: Make sure you get all the corners and creases next to the tape! And make sure your brush strokes are all going in the same direction or else when it dries it will look funny.


Make sure you get the sides too! HINT: Make sure that after you paint the sides that you check the top to make sure there is not extra paint on the sides built up! You want the top to be nice and smooth!

After you have it all good and painted let it dry for a few hours. I let mine dry overnight just to be sure it was completely dry.




When your canvas is dry you simply peel off the tape and WOW you have a pretty cool art piece.

CAUTION: If you don't get the tape real secure than you are likely to have paint that crept under it and made it so the lines are a little messy. Now, Shawn said he liked this because it gave it "character" and honestly you really can't tell unless you look really closely. Next time though, I'm definitely going to try harder to make sure that tape is good and secure!





My final thoughts: The cost of this project was very minimal (most expensive is the canvas which I actually found on sale for $4 (regularly $7)). The total cost of this project for me was only $7.50! And even better it only took me about 10-15 minutes to complete and was very easy to clean up too. I really liked this project and I am happy with the finished project. It gave me another idea of something to do for a Christmas gift that I will share in a later blog (just in case the person getting the gift actually reads my blog). Needless to say though I am definitely doing this again! My only complaint is that the paint did bleed a little in some places, but again I think that with practice I will get better at that.


Overall DIY Grade: B+


Good luck and please feel free to post your finished project and ask any questions or comments! Happy Do It Yourselfing!

No comments:

Post a Comment